This morning Ishan (my colleague at our company) and i, sowed roughly 350 seedballs with the help of about 10-15 labourers, with precious orgnaisation of Maan Singh – one of the workers there from the forest department.
The site was the Gurgaon Bio Diversity Park being built at the Gurgaon-Delhi border. You’ve got to enter the place to realise how big the earmarked area for the park is. They’re constructing a (cemented) walking area and a (cemented) biking area within the park.
Volunteers from “I am Gurgaon“, a collective of citizens of Gurgaon have worked with HUDA, the Forest Department, Municipal Coporation of Gurgaon to make this a reality. Vilayati Kikar (Prosopis Juliflora) is being eradicated in phases – thank God the Forest Department seems to have realised what a menace it is – and indegenous species of trees are being planted.
Atal Kapoor of “I am Gurgaon” told me that their goal is to plant 1 Million (10 Lakh) trees in phases over the next few years. The planting program starts in a big way on 04 August 2011. Please come over an participate.
Coming back to what we sowed. Here’s the list of seeds which we my maali made seedballs of for sowing:
- Sinduri : Malloutus Philippensis :: 20 seeds
- Bharangi : Clerodendrum Serratum :: 7 seeds
- Dhobi : Dalbergia Panicuhta :: 10 seeds
- Ber : Ziziphus Jujuba : 10 seeds
- Jangli Jahad : Hibiscus Lobatus :: 100 seeds
- Holarrhona :: Antidysanterica – family – Apocynaceae :: 25 seeds
- Basheria : Cristata – family Acanthus :: 10 seeds
- Sitaphal : Ammona saquamosa :: 15 seeds
- Baheda : Terminalia bellerica :: 10 seeds
- Bharanga : Kydia calcina :: 200 seeds
- Makoi : Ziziphus oenoplia :: 25 seeds
- Pilkhan : Ficus virens (family Mulberry fig) :: lots of seeds (very small)
- Harra : Terminalia chebula (family Arjun) :: 10 seeds
- Mahua kadar : Hymenodictyon exelsum :: 50 seeds
- Hibiscus hirtus (lesser white) (family Mallow) :: 10 seeds
- Ardonda : Capparis zeylanica :: 50 seeds
- Krishna siris : Albizia amara :: 20 seeds
- Harsingar : Nyctonthes arbortristis :: 30 seeds
- Jangli azumine : Seseli indicum :: 100 seeds
- Maida lakdi : Litsea chinensis :: 10 seeds
- Bhuti dhaman : Eriolena candoli :: 10 seeds
Some pictures from the morning well spent: